Skip to main content
Skip to main content.

Court Records & Exhibits

Court Records & Exhibits

The Court Records Division is open for in-person services from 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM and 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM .

Court records requests submitted by mail, email, or drop box are being processed in the order of date received. Court staff are working diligently through a backlog of court records requests, however; depending on the nature of your request, it may take up to 6 weeks to complete your request.


The court has created a centralized office for viewing and copying all public court records and pick-up exhibits after the conclusion of a court case. Active and disposed court records for all non-confidential case types (criminal, civil, family law, probate, small claims, etc.) may be requested for public inspection by contacting the Court Records Division.

Case Records Include all filed documents, such as:

  • Motions: Written request filed by a party to an action before, during, or after a trial asking the judge to issue a ruling or order in that party's favor.
  • Pleadings: Written statements filed with the court that describe a party's legal or factual claims about the case and what the party wants from the court.

There is a fee of $0.50 per page for copies of court records.

Court Records can also provide dockets or registers of action, which contain a complete case history with brief chronological summaries of the court proceedings.

Requests for copies or research may be submitted by completing a request form at this link: click here.

Complete the form electronically using Adobe Acrobat Reader, or print the form and complete by hand, then submit according to directions on the form. A Records clerk will contact you for further information if needed. Please allow 4-6 weeks for processing. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Case information can be accessed through Marin Superior Court's ePortal.  ePortal allows users to perform case and calendar searches.  A case search provides access to public cases and displays Party Information, Future Events, and more.  A calendar search allows a user to see what matters are on calendar and filter by specific date(s), case type, and courtroom.

To access ePortal, users will need to create an account.

The Court Records Office does not provide case information or conduct research over the telephone or through email.


Confidential case information may only be provided to authorized parties by providing a notarized copy of their photo ID with the confidential records request.

Confidential cases may not be discussed over the phone or via email as we are not able to verify the identity of the requester of the information.

Do not send confidential records requests via email; either come into the office, use our drop box located outside of the Civil Clerk’s office (Civic Center Room 113) or send requests via postal mail. Be sure to include an original notarized copy of your photo ID with your request.

All copy job deposits and sales are final and non-refundable.

There is a $5 retrieval charge for files that are stored outside of the Civic Center.

The court may charge government agencies for copies and certifications of criminal records,under Government Code section 70633(b). The charge to certify a record is $40.00 (GC 70626(a)(4)) and the charge for copies is $.50 per page (GC 70627(a)). In addition, the court will require requesting agencies to include a self-addressed stamped envelope with proper postage for the return of the complete copy work. Since most requesting agencies will not know ahead of time how many pages will be copied, they may obtain a quote upon request to Court Records. The copies and certifications will be processed and mailed and the agency will be billed for the service, unless other arrangements have been made.

Once a court case is concluded and the appeal period has expired, exhibits that were submitted during the case may be returned to the party that submitted them or destroyed pursuant to California Code of Civil Procedure section 1952(d) or California Penal Code section 1417.5.

If your court case has concluded and the appeal period has expired, you may receive a Notice of Intent to Destroy Exhibits from the Court Records Division. You may choose to pick up your exhibits rather than have the court destroy them.

Exhibits for small claims, civil, family law, juvenile, probate, and criminal cases may be picked up by appointment from the Court Records Office by the party to whom the exhibits belong or the party's attorney.  Please contact the Court Records Office either in person or by leaving a voice message at 415-444-7080. Please provide your name and case number.  You must bring photo identification to the appointment.

Exhibits may only be released to someone other than the party or attorney that submitted them if the owner of the exhibits provides the other person with a signed and dated letter authorizing them to pick up the exhibits. The letter must include the person's name, address, and telephone number and that person must bring the letter and their photo identification to the appointment.

Transcripts are the property of the Court Reporter; costs for transcripts vary but on average are billed at $3 per page. Request copies of transcripts.

Was this helpful?

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.